Recently, I've been finding myself searching volunteer websites looking for something to donate my spare time to. My family and friends have found this behaviour rather odd and don't quite understand why and to be honest, neither did I at the time. While searching through the postings for a variety of volunteer opportunities, I began to realise that the benefits of volunteering go far beyond the assistance you are providing with your time.
The Macquarie University explain that there are many benefits to volunteering, including:
- Connecting with others and the community
- The opportunity to make new friends and contacts
- Enhancing your social and relationship skills
- Team building and bonding with others
- Can provide career experiences in a related or new field
- Enhance or learn valuable job skills such as teamwork, communication, problem solving and task management
- Increases self-confidence, self-esteem and life satisfaction
- Fulfilling way to explore other interests and passions
There are volunteering opportunities available to fit any lifestyle, work schedule or interest!
If you or your team would like to do something enjoyable while giving back to your community, visit Volunteering Qld at www.volunteeringqld.org.au for more information and volunteer opportunities.